Pages

Tuesday 27 February 2018

Speech In Alberta

Speech Language Therapy works a little differently in Alberta than it does in the US. We do not have an SLP at every school. Actually schools are very lucky if they have their own SLP- that's just not how funding works here. In Northern Alberta, were lucky if an SLP lives in the town/area!







In Alberta, most speech services to provided to public schools are provided through the Provincial Government- Alberta Health Services-the provincial Health Region. This service is provided at no direct cost to the school. But the schools only get the service that the health region can provide. There are a lot of schools and a huge caseload so they don't usually get a lot of direct one on one therapy, more universal strategies. 

The First Nation Schools receive funding through the Federal government to hire their own private services. The First Nation Schools don't receive services through the provincial government. They contract services from private SLP's and services like mine, Creating Communicators. 

I provide speech language and occupational services. I go into schools screen, assess and then provide program implementation. I also provide one on one therapy, as well as group and classroom activities. I work with staff to educate and train how they can provide a language rich environment in their classroom.  I have 3 SLP's, and 2 OT's and I am in the process of hiring another SLP-A.


I really love my job and it is so fulfilling! I love working with kids- they are so fun and entertaining. I love it when I can make a difference and increase their language skills, and hopefully confidence.  I also have a problem with resources- I have too much stuff. I have games, and tons of speech stuff in my house. I need a personal organizer or I may be on an upcoming episode of Hoarders! 

I love spreading the "Speech Word!"




0 comments:

Post a Comment